1987 Panasonic DX-2000.
One step above the base DX-1000 model, the DX-2000 offered slightly better components. Selling for around $330 when new, it fell firmly into the decent rider at a decent price category. The bike featured here is courtesy of Fred Appel. Fred purchased this bike in 2011 from the original owner who obviously took very good care of it.
1987 Panasonic DX-2000 U.S. specifications:
* List Price: $330.00 (approx.)
* Frame Size: DX-918, DX-920, DX-922, DX-924, DX-926, DX-928 (last two digits equal frame size in inches)
* Frame: Tange 900 Cr-Mo double butted tubes; forged ends and sealed B.B. set
* Fork: Tange Mangaloy and forged ends
* Handlebar: SR CTB, Maes alloy
* Stem: SR CT alloy
* Saddle: White vinyl leatherette, with SR CT-P5E micro adjusting seat post
* Crankset: Sugino DVP, alloy 52/40T
* Freewheel: Shimano Z012 six speed 14-28T
* Chain: Shimano UG 1/2″x 3/32″
* Hubs: Sansin CE-60 sealed mechanism, alloy small flange with Q.R.
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano L523 S.I.S.
* Front Derailleur: Shimano Z204
* Shifting Lever: Shimano S434 S.I.S. & Light Action, brazed on down tube mounted
* Brakes: Dia-Compe QS500N, alloy side-pull with Q.R., tire guide and AC260 aero levers
* Rims: Araya SS-45, 700C, alloy
* Tires: Panaracer 700x25C Light Extra 100 PSI
* Spokes: 14G U-C-P finished
* Pedals: SR SP-250 with reflectors
* Color: Classic White/Imperial Red fade